Mining Area Lead, Media Luna Project Team Toronto, Canada
Date Posted: January 27, 2020
Torex Gold is an intermediate gold producer based in Toronto Canada, engaged in the exploration, development, and operation of its 100% owned Morelos Gold Property, an area of 29,000 hectares in the highly prospective Guerrero Gold Belt located 180 kilometers southwest of Mexico City. The Company’s principal assets are the El Limón Guajes Mining Complex (the “ELG Mine Complex”) and the Media Luna deposit.
The ELG Mine Complex is a 14,000 tpd gold mine which has been in production since 2016 and comprises three open pits, an underground mine, and a CN/CIP processing plant. The Media Luna deposit (“ML deposit”) is an advanced stage development project which is located 7 kilometers south of the ELG Complex.
Concurrent with work on the Morelos Property, Torex is developing a new underground mining system called Muckahi. The Muckahi Mining System is currently undergoing field trials at the ELG UG mine. This mining system could significantly reduce the cost of underground mining giving Torex an incredible technical advantage in the industry.
Based in Toronto and reporting to the Director, Resource Management & Mine Engineering, the Mine Area Lead will be a pivotal team member of the Media Luna Project team. The purpose of the role is to deliver a mine plan for the Media Luna deposit for use in the Feasibility Study and development of this resource as feed source for the ELG Process plant.
Key Deliverables of this Role:
The successful candidate will be responsible for the mine design of the Media Luna deposit as it is advanced through the Feasibility Study phase to Execution. This position provides an excellent opportunity for an engineer to get involved with a brand-new mining methodology and incorporate it into the design of Torex’s key asset.
- Design of the Mining systems required for development and operation of the Media Luna Mine incorporating our new Muckahi mining methodology. Mine Systems include and account for:
- Movement of people and supplies to the work area
- Broken rock from workplaces
- Supply of process water, electrical power, compressed air, etc.
- Geology and geomechanics.
- Mine Systems design to be based on current industry practices, company standards and Mexican regulations with some innovation and “optimize” system designs.
- Constant interaction/Involvement with OEM and the Muckahi team (Designers) to understand and “optimize” system designs
- Mine Engineering for development and operation of the Media Luna Mine:
- Design mine access, level development and stoping
- Design production areas
- Engineer mine services
- Select equipment
- Verify geo-mechanical integrity
- Establish cut off grades
- Create schedule for construction of mine infrastructure, services and implementation of mine systems
- Determine the amount of and create General Arrangements, technical specifications, mine layouts and detailed infrastructure drawings
- Development of cost model for development and operation of the Media Luna Mine:
- Participation in other projects as directed by the Director, Resources Management and Mining Engineering.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in the industry
- Bachelor’s degree in mining engineering.
- Deep knowledge of Underground Mine Design.
- QP or eligible for QP as defined by 43-101
Knowledge & Skills:
- Combined experience in underground mine operations and mining studies
- Experience managing relationships with consultants, industry experts, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) and internal clients/stakeholders.
- Underground Mine engineering; including mine, infrastructure and services engineering (ventilation, Geotech, backfill, ore/waste Handling etc.)
- Bilingual English - Spanish is preferred but is not mandatory
- Experience with mine studies: conceptual, feasibility, trade-off, financial models.
- Experience in team building.
- Experience in leading multi-disciplinary teams.
If you are a qualified and experienced engineering professional, please submit your resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line “Mining Area Lead, Media Luna Project Team”.
Torex Gold Resources is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this when you apply, and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Please note that Torex Gold does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruitment agencies without a written agreement in place for permanent/contract placements.
Back to the main Careers page, or press the Back button on your browser.