Assistant Controller, Financial Reporting Toronto, Ontario
Date Posted: June 22, 2018
Torex is an intermediate gold producer based in Canada, engaged in the exploration, development and operation of its 100% owned Morelos Gold Property, an area of 29,000 hectares in the highly prospective Guerrero Gold Belt located 180 kilometers southwest of Mexico City.
The Company’s principal assets are the El Limón Guajes mining complex (the “ELG Mine Complex”), comprised of the El Limón, Guajes and El Limón Sur open pits, the El Limón Guajes underground mine including zones referred to as Sub-Sill, El Limón Deep and 71, and the processing plant and related infrastructure, which is in the commercial production stage as of April 1, 2016, and the Media Luna deposit, which is an early stage development project, and for which the Company issued a preliminary economic assessment in 2015. The property remains 75% unexplored.
Based in Toronto and reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Assistant Controller, Financial Reportingwill be a member of the Corporate Finance team. The purpose of the role is to provide the financial information and controls required by Torex for regulatory and reporting requirements.
The role is responsible for preparation of the Company’s financial reporting, accounting policy research, maintenance of the Company’s general ledger, and related accounting practices.
Working closely with the Company’s external auditors, the assistant controller will respond to audit requests and achieves effective resolutions.
The successful candidate:
- Will perform the accounting and prepare schedules to support the amounts for asset retirement obligations, equity, debt, derivatives, and complex accounting transactions.
- Liaises closely with the mine site and regional office teams in Mexico in supporting accounting policy decisions, review of results, training and skills development, and performance of site visits.
- Reviews the financial reporting of the Mexican entities, including inventories, deferred stripping, cost of sales, units of production depreciation, and fixed assets.
- Will calculate the non-IFRS performance indicators including cash costs, and all-in-sustaining costs.
- Conduct research about existing and new accounting pronouncements, assessing their impact.
- Will work on tax and budgeting matters as needed, including maintenance of a tax inventory model.
Key Deliverables of This Role:
- Prepares the Company’s consolidated financial statements and notes, coordinates and contributes to management’s discussion and analysis, and drafts the quarterly summary report to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Financial Reports:
- Monthly consolidation.
- Quarterly consolidation for the Company’s corporate entities; reviews the consolidation for the Mexican entities.
- Quarterly financial statements and notes for Controller review.
- MD&A for Controller review
- Provide the external auditor the material to complete annual audit and quarterly reviews with minimal adjustments.
- Accounting Research:
- Quarterly accounting memorandum on new financial reporting and regulatory changes.
- Accounting memorandum for significant new transactions.
- Accounting Degree.
- 5 to 8 years of progressive accounting experience.
- Minimum of 3 years working for one of the “Big 4” accounting firms.
- CPA, CA designation
Knowledge & Skills
- Experience with managing multiple, tight and competing deadlines in a public company setting.
- Mining experience gained in industry or as a manager on public mining company audits.
- Willingness to travel up to 20% of the time.
- Experience with SAP is an asset.
- Spanish language skills are considered an asset.
If you are a qualified and experienced Finance professional, please submit your resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line “Assistant Controller, Financial Reporting”.
Torex Gold Resources is an equal opportunity employer. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this when you apply, and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Please note that Torex Gold does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies without a written agreement in place for permanent/contract placements.
Back to the main Careers page, or press the Back button on your browser.